    SubjectRe: Intel vs AMD x86-64
    Date
    On Monday 23 Feb 2004 5:31 pm, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > The x86 is so great partly because there's been real competition. So I
    > think it's very important to x86-64 to have real competition to make sure
    > nobody gets too dishonest.

    I think linux's support for so many architectures is important in this
    respect. I can now compare and choose between several distinct architectures,
    rather than just different flavour of x86. That's where the real competition
    will be long-term. (indeed, I would probably buy ia64 if not for the fact
    that I can put together 5 opteron systems for the price of 1 ia64...)

    I'm don't usually subscribe to conspiracy theories, but I've got this really
    nasty suspicion that intel really did conspire with microsoft to delay win64
    until their x86-64 chip was ready.

    The more influential linux becomes, the easier it will become for amd et al to
    compete, and relegate this sort of bullshit to then past, where it belongs.
    And competition means faster/better/cheaper processors, which is what I care
    about.

    Andrew Walrond

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.024 / U:59.472 seconds]