    SubjectRe: Split kgdb into "lite" and "normal" parts
    On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:27:03AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Hi!

    > > > Unfortunately, I done it by hand :-(. But if -lite parts are not
    > > > merged, soon, I'll be forced to start using quilt. Doing stuff by hand
    > > > is quite painfull...
    > >
    > > There's still a whole bunch of bogons in the -lite patch still, so I
    > > don't think it should be merged yet.
    >
    > Well, it seems to contains a *lot* less bogons than what currently is
    > in -mm series.
    >
    > What big problems do you see? It does not yet use weak symbols, but I
    > do not think that's a serious problem. What else?

    The first two big ones are:
    - Doesn't like gdb 6.0 (You cannot assume the first packet is Hc...)
    - Wierdities with kgdb_killed_or_detached / kgdb_might_be_resumed
    (both can die).
    - All of the function pointer games (of which the weak symbols, but not
    all of them) are a part of.
    - Issues w/ handling 'D' and 'k' packets cleaner (and I think there was
    a correctness fix in there, too, but it was a while ago).
    - Don't ACK packets sitting on the line
    - kgdb_schedule/process_breakpoint, required for kgdboe, harmless to use
    on serial.

    There's still a lot of stuff I checked into linux-2.6-kgdb that's
    non-trivially important
    (http://ppc.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.6-kgdb/ChangeSet@-4w?nav=index.html)

    --
    Tom Rini