    SubjectRe: Intel vs AMD x86-64
    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:01:02 +0100
    > From: Thomas Zehetbauer <>
    > Subject: Re: Intel vs AMD x86-64
    > On Sam, 2004-02-21 at 19:12 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > Any Intel people on this list: tell your managers to be f*cking ashamed of
    > > themselves. Just because Intel didn't care about their customers and has
    > > been playing with some other 64-bit architecture that nobody wanted to use
    > > is no excuse for not giving credit to AMD for what they did with x86-64.
    > This very clear statement deserves standing ovations :-)
    > If anyone from Intel is really listening here I would like them to know
    > that I am pretty much pissed of by their product politics as well.
    > Although older Celeron processors supported SMP configurations they were
    > not supported and to my knowledge never used in the primary SMP market.
    > So in fact they even helped Intel to increase their revenues by allowing
    > hobbyists to build their own affordable SMP boxes. Nonetheless Intel has
    > decided to disable this capability in current Celeron and even Pentium
    > processors attempting to force hobbyists into the professional market
    > with about four times the cost of previous configurations.
    > For my part I have understood the message from Intel, that they do not
    > want hobbyists looking for cheap SMP configurations as their customers
    > and will accordingly buy AMD in the future.
    > Tom

    I'll second that.

    For whatever it's worth I replaced all my intel business boxes w AMD
    w the advent of the K7/Athlon's and haven't looked back since,
    including SMP. Next up for us will be dual Opteron. I cannot see
    ever returning to Intel.

    John Heil
    South Coast Software
    Custom systems software for UNIX and IBM MVS mainframes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.027 / U:5.316 seconds]