SubjectRe: Intel vs AMD x86-64
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:01:02 +0100
> From: Thomas Zehetbauer <>
> Subject: Re: Intel vs AMD x86-64
> On Sam, 2004-02-21 at 19:12 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Any Intel people on this list: tell your managers to be f*cking ashamed of
> > themselves. Just because Intel didn't care about their customers and has
> > been playing with some other 64-bit architecture that nobody wanted to use
> > is no excuse for not giving credit to AMD for what they did with x86-64.
> This very clear statement deserves standing ovations :-)
> If anyone from Intel is really listening here I would like them to know
> that I am pretty much pissed of by their product politics as well.
> Although older Celeron processors supported SMP configurations they were
> not supported and to my knowledge never used in the primary SMP market.
> So in fact they even helped Intel to increase their revenues by allowing
> hobbyists to build their own affordable SMP boxes. Nonetheless Intel has
> decided to disable this capability in current Celeron and even Pentium
> processors attempting to force hobbyists into the professional market
> with about four times the cost of previous configurations.
> For my part I have understood the message from Intel, that they do not
> want hobbyists looking for cheap SMP configurations as their customers
> and will accordingly buy AMD in the future.
> Tom

I'll second that.

For whatever it's worth I replaced all my intel business boxes w AMD
w the advent of the K7/Athlon's and haven't looked back since,
including SMP. Next up for us will be dual Opteron. I cannot see
ever returning to Intel.

John Heil
South Coast Software
Custom systems software for UNIX and IBM MVS mainframes