SubjectRe: Kernel Cross Compiling [update]
On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 19:53, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> Here is an update to the Kernel Cross Compiling thread
> I started ten days ago ...

If you want gcc to be fixed so the inhibit_libc builds work for linux
targets, then I suggest opening an FSF gcc bugzilla bug report. Sending
mail to me or to the linux kernel mailing list is unlikely to accomplish
this.

FYI David Mosberger sent me a comment in private mail pointing out that
if you are trying to bootstrap linux on a new target, then requiring a
glibc port before the kernel port is a problem. I consider this a good
reason to make this feature work.

However, my recommendation still stands. In general, I do not recommend
building inhibit_libc crosses for linux targets, even though such
crosses are likely to work fine for building a kernel. As a gcc
maintainer, it makes my job harder when people are building the compiler
different ways, because I may get bug reports that I can't reproduce or
understand. Also, there is a risk that a kernel-only cross compiler
will accidentally be used for some other purpose, resulting in a bug
report that wastes the time of the gcc maintainers.