SubjectRe: distinguish two identical network cards
andreas.hartmann@fiducia.de wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Some clarification:
> It is important, that the cards can be distinguished without any user driven
> action - it must run automatically. The machines will be delivered to somebody
> who doesn't know anything about linux / unix. I must be able to do a
> configuration like that:
>
> Physical upper card: eth0
> Physical lower card: eth1
>
> The customer will be told, e.g.: plug in the network cable from switch a to the
> upper card, the cable to the switch b must be connected to the lower card.

Sorry, other than the already suggested use of nameif I don't see any
other good way to do it. At some point the hardware should pass through
the hands of someone who DOES know Linux enough to read the MAC address
off the sticker usually found on the NIC, and set the config to match.

You better label the back of the NICs, if your customer can't identify
the one with the blinking light (as previously suggested) they may have
problems with UNIX terms like upper and lower ;-)

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc