SubjectRe: JFS default behavior / UTF-8 filenames
On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:00:58AM -0600, Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> With no iocharset specified, a filename with such a character will be
> inaccessible. Probably the best thing for readdir to do is to
> substitute a '?' and print a message to the syslog to mount the volume
> with iocharset=utf8 to be able to access the file. Of course I would
> limit the number of printk's to something small. I'll submit a patch to
> do this.

And that's why I was saying I think UTF-8 mode is the "least broken" for
any filesystem that stores filenames in a specific encoding rather than
"as the client submitted it". And most especially for UCS-2/UTF-16
filesystems.

I think the default for a filesystem should be something that absolutely
will not disappear your files. So for NTFS/JFS, it should be UTF-8. And
if a traditional UNIX filesystem wants to do a UTF-8 only mode, I think
ideally it should be done at mkfs time rather than mount time.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.166 / U:0.052 seconds]