    SubjectRe: explicit dcache <-> user-space cache coherency, sys_mark_dir_clean(), O_CLEAN
    Linus Torvalds wrote to Ingo Molnar;
    > Your version is also not multi-threaded: you can never allow more than one
    > thread doing the "sys_mark_dir_clean()".

    It's fine as long as each thread has its own dirfd. The "clean bit"
    applies to an fd. Or did I miss something obvious?

    > The problem is that you'd still need other system calls

    Here's a thought. It's a bit ugly, but it offers O_CLEAN-like
    functionality without extra system calls for each operation:

    That means change to dirfd in the current process (or thread if
    CLONE_FS), and when the "clean bit" is set on dirfd, then any creation
    of a name _with no directory component_ will abort.

    For example, these operations all create names which will check
    dirfd's clean bit, and abort if it's set:

    open("file1", O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_RDWR, 0666);
    link("file1", "file2");
    rename("file1", "file4");
    link("subdir/file1", "file2");
    rename("subdir/file1", "file4");

    These operations don't check any clean bits:

    open("/tmp/file1", O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_RDWR, 0666);
    open("./file1", O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_RDWR, 0666);
    link("file1", "subdir/file2");
    rename("file1", "subdir/file4");

    If dirfd is closed, then of course the current directory stays the
    same, but there is no clean bit to check any more. chdir() also
    implies no clean bit to check.

    In other words the notion of current directory is extended to be
    (inode, fd). fd can be NULL, or an fd whose clean bit must be checked
    before allowing name creation for "/"-less paths.

    (As you know I prefer to use dnotify on dirfd to represent the "clean
    bit", but that's the subject of another mail).

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.020 / U:4.516 seconds]