    SubjectRe: explicit dcache <-> user-space cache coherency, sys_mark_dir_clean(), O_CLEAN

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > One 'user-space cache is valid/clean' bit should be enough - where all
    > non-Samba accesses clear the 'valid bit', and Samba sets the bit
    > manually.

    Yes, that, together with O_CLEAN would work.

    The problem is that you'd still need other system calls: it's not like
    open(O_CREAT) is the only way to create a file. So you'd have to add
    versions of "link()" etc, which means that O_CLEAN is really pretty
    pointless, and you might as well just do it in a new system call.

    Your version is also not multi-threaded: you can never allow more than one
    thread doing the "sys_mark_dir_clean()". That was the reason for having
    two bits: so that anybody can do a lookup in parallell, and only the
    "filldir" part needs to be serialized.

    So I do believe you'd want two bits anyway.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.026 / U:10.856 seconds]