    SubjectRe: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity
    tridge@samba.org wrote:

    > Currently dnotify doesn't give you the filename that is being
    > added/deleted/renamed. It just tells you that something has happened,
    > but not enough to actually maintain a name cache in user space.

    This might be a crazy / stupid idea, so flame at will :)

    Wouldn't it be possible to do a samba "super-server" mode, in which samba would
    assume that it controlled the directories it is exporting?

    In this mode a "corporate" Samba server, serving Windows clients, could improve
    performance by assuming that its cache was always up-to-date.

    If if we wanted to access the directory locally we could always mount locally
    using samba, and access the files anyway, albeit a lot slower and without linux
    permissions, etc.

    What we would gain was the ability to say "I want to give priority to my samba
    server" (and set it to "super-server" mode) or "my priority is to the linux
    native filesystem, and just want to share my files with windows users anyway"
    (and keep using samba as always).

    --
    Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

    "In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"