    SubjectRe: HOWTO use udev to manage /dev
    On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 07:22:30PM -0300, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Greg KH wrote:
    >
    > > - modify the rc.sysinit script to call the start_udev script as one of
    > > the first things that it does, but after /proc and /sys are mounted.
    > > I did this with the latest Fedora startup scripts with the patch at
    > > the end of this file.
    > >
    > > - make sure the /etc/udev/udev.conf file lists the udev_root as /dev.
    > > It should contain the following line in order to work properly.
    > > udev_root="/dev/"
    > >
    > > - reboot into a 2.6 kernel and watch udev create all of the initial
    > > device nodes in /dev
    > >

    > > If anyone has any problems with this, please let me, and the
    > > linux-hotplug-devel@lists.sourceforge.net mailing list know.
    >
    > Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem to work if you
    > don't have /dev/null before it gets mounted.

    Did you build udev using glibc or klibc? I used klibc and it worked
    just fine, as udev and udevd does not need /dev/null to work, unlike
    programs built against glibc.

    As for needing the fb nodes, you should probably just add them to the
    start_udev script in the section that we add the other needed symlinks
    to /dev until the kernel starts exporting those sysfs entries (hopefully
    any day now...)

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.026 / U:63.028 seconds]