    SubjectRe: Non-GPL export of invalidate_mmap_range
    Christoph Hellwig <> wrote:
    > On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 03:32:34PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > > Yes. We've traditionally not exported symbols unless we had an intree user,
    > > > and especially not if it's for a module that's not GPL licensed.
    > >
    > > That's certainly a good rule of thumb and we (and I) have used it before.
    > >
    > > What is the reasoning behind it?
    > The reason is that someone who wants to distribute a binary only module
    > has to show it's module is not a derived work, and someone who needs new
    > core in the kernel and new exports pretty much shows his work is deeply
    > integrated with the kernel.

    Needing access to invalidate_mmap_range() is surely not an indication of a
    derived work. It is an indication of a need for a reliable way to achieve
    inter-node cache consistency. Other distributed filesystems will need this
    and probably AIX already provides it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.019 / U:48.436 seconds]