    SubjectRe: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity

    > Evil question: do you need to be case-preserving? 'Cause if not, you
    > could simply squash all incoming filenames from case-insensitive clients
    > to some canonical form (say, all lower-case) and use that.

    yes, we have to be case preserving, but thats not the problem. Keeping
    some name mapping in user space or xattrs is tedious but conceptually
    easy and potentially quite efficient.

    The problem is that Samba isn't the only program to be accessing these
    directories. Multi-protocol file servers and file servers where users
    also have local access are common. That means we can't assume that
    some other filesystem user hasn't created a file which matches in a
    case-insensitive manner. That means we need to do an awful lot of
    directory scans.

    I also understand the decision Linus has made that we won't be doing
    anything fundamental at the filesystem level to fix this, so we will
    just have to live with it.

    Cheers, Tridge

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.130 / U:0.428 seconds]