    SubjectRe: JFS default behavior
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Btw, from the screen man-page it appears that screen is not able to do
    > that either. You can put screen into utf-8 mode, but it sounds like it
    > just means that it passes UTF-8 through, not that it does any translation
    > from "latin1 vt100 to utf-8".

    Screen works nicely. Do this:

    echo 'defutf8 on' >> ~/.screenrc

    Then screen presents a UTF-8 interface to the shell and other
    programs, regardless of what kind of terminal you connect from :)

    (It's a bit overkill, no actually it's a lot overkill, and you have the
    annoyance of screen intercepting at least one commonly used editing key.)

    (Just remember to set the LANG environment variable to include
    ".UTF-8" so that screen-oriented programs know to display properly. I
    do it automatically using a script which queries the current terminal,
    to workaround ssh not forwarding LANG).

    > I think there are a few editors that actually do ("mined" looks like it
    > should do it).

    Emacs does, of course.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.019 / U:2.404 seconds]