SubjectRe: 2.6.3-mm1
On Wed, 02/18/04 at 11:16:40 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
> >

> >- Added the dm-crypt driver: a crypto layer for device-mapper.
> >
> > People need to test and use this please. There is documentation at
> >

> > We should get this tested and merged up. We can then remove the nasty
> > bio remapping code from the loop driver. This will remove the current
> > ordering guarantees which the loop driver provides for journalled
> > filesystems. ie: ext3 on cryptoloop will no longer be crash-proof.
> >
> > After that we should remove cryptoloop altogether.
> >
> > It's a bit late but cyptoloop hasn't been there for long anyway and it
> > doesn't even work right with highmem systems (that part is fixed in -mm).
> What definition of "stable kernel" do you use which includes removal of
> features which were reasons to migrate to 2.6 from 2.4? This change
> would mean having to add dm to the kernel which otherwise doesn't use
> it, carry dm utilities on the system whcih are otherwise unneeded, and
> train people to use and not use dm.
> I expect major things to change in a development series, but less major
> things than this have been pushed to 2.7, why is this being forced in?
I must add my voice here in strong opposition of the removal of
cryptoloop from the 2.6 series of kernels. This is no longer a
development series kernel, I (and others, I'm sure) have been working on
developing technologies which depend on this functionality and which
would be _very_ annoying to do with DM (liveCD-on-cryptoloop-on-iso).

Please do not drop cryptoloop!

Brandon Low
Release Coordinator
Ribstone Systems