    SubjectRe: 2.6.3-mm1
    On Wed, 02/18/04 at 11:16:40 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > Andrew Morton wrote:
    > >

    > >- Added the dm-crypt driver: a crypto layer for device-mapper.
    > >
    > > People need to test and use this please. There is documentation at
    > >

    > > We should get this tested and merged up. We can then remove the nasty
    > > bio remapping code from the loop driver. This will remove the current
    > > ordering guarantees which the loop driver provides for journalled
    > > filesystems. ie: ext3 on cryptoloop will no longer be crash-proof.
    > >
    > > After that we should remove cryptoloop altogether.
    > >
    > > It's a bit late but cyptoloop hasn't been there for long anyway and it
    > > doesn't even work right with highmem systems (that part is fixed in -mm).
    > What definition of "stable kernel" do you use which includes removal of
    > features which were reasons to migrate to 2.6 from 2.4? This change
    > would mean having to add dm to the kernel which otherwise doesn't use
    > it, carry dm utilities on the system whcih are otherwise unneeded, and
    > train people to use and not use dm.
    > I expect major things to change in a development series, but less major
    > things than this have been pushed to 2.7, why is this being forced in?
    I must add my voice here in strong opposition of the removal of
    cryptoloop from the 2.6 series of kernels. This is no longer a
    development series kernel, I (and others, I'm sure) have been working on
    developing technologies which depend on this functionality and which
    would be _very_ annoying to do with DM (liveCD-on-cryptoloop-on-iso).

    Please do not drop cryptoloop!

    Brandon Low
    Release Coordinator
    Ribstone Systems

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.020 / U:0.824 seconds]