    SubjectRe: Non-GPL export of invalidate_mmap_range
    I should know better than to stir up a hornets nest
    by discussing GPL issues on this list... :)

    Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 01:19, Andrew Morton wrote:
    >>Neat, but it's hard to see the relevance of this to your patch.
    >>I don't see any licensing issues with the patch because the filesystem
    >>which needs it clearly meets Linus's "this is not a derived work"
    > it does?
    > it needs no changes to the core kernel? *buzz*
    Actually, this would tend towards an interpretation that
    it was NOT a derived work.

    That is, if a the Linux kernel must be modified in order
    to run with a piece of software, that's one indicator
    that the piece of software (when standing alone) may not
    be derived from the kernel. I am purposely avoiding the
    "but what about when it's linked" argument.

    Tim Bird
    Architecture Group Co-Chair
    CE Linux Forum
    Senior Staff Engineer
    Sony Electronics

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.021 / U:0.600 seconds]