    SubjectRe: harddisk or kernel problem?
    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Nico Schottelius wrote:

    > Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz [Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 05:17:34PM +0100]:
    > I'm really down as this is the second disk
    > dyeing within two month (and the second 2.5" hd even, I begin to think
    > notebooks don't like me :/).
    > I currently collect all data I get / find out to

    194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 100 050 000 Old_age Always
    - 48 (Lifetime Min/Max 14/65)

    If I'm reading this correctly, you've been running the drive when it's
    extremely cold and extremely hot (Min/Max 14/65, I'm guessing that's
    either Fahrenheit or a raw unconverted reading from the thermistor). I
    managed to completely hork a notebook drive after leaving my laptop in the
    boot of my car for several hours (~-25C), taking it into a warm apartment
    (~19C), booting it up and lifting the notebook off my lap sideways whilst
    I shifted to get comfortable and putting it back on my lap. The hard drive
    had a head crash (I think) on the sectors it was reading while I moved and
    the partition was effectively toast - this was my Debian partition, and
    wouldn't boot any more, but I could boot off the RedHat partition and
    /home was (thankfully) still readable. I pulled all the data off in
    preparation for the drive failing before I could get a new one (I was down
    in Boston at the time), but the bad sectors slowly spread through the
    entire drive over the course of a couple of days and I couldn't read any
    data at all.

    Lessons learned:

    * Let laptops settle to room temperature after being exposed to sub-zero
    temperatures for a while (this is probably in the manual, but I don't have

    * Laptop notebooks may be somewhat ruggedised but they still don't like
    being moved when they're reading off the drive.

    Running drives really hot is also a good way to toast them, too!

    Cheers, Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.021 / U:2.424 seconds]