    SubjectUnicode normalization (userspace issue, but what the heck)
    Date
    Followup to:  <pan.2004.02.15.03.33.48.209951@smurf.noris.de>
    By author: Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > Not locale, but normalization problems and identical-glyph problems.
    >
    > Which is actually worse, because you don't have filenames which look
    > like crap -- instead you have filenames which look perfectly sane, but
    > they still do not work. Example: is an á one character, or is it an a
    > followed by a composing ÂŽ?
    >
    > Mac OSX, just as an example, only uses decomposed filenames. I don't know
    > the current situation, but 10.2 has major problems when you try to access
    > files with composite characters in their name (across NFS for instance).
    >
    > I wonder if Linux, i.e. Linus ;-) should decree one single standard
    > normalization. (I am NOT saying that enforcing this would be the kernel's
    > job!)

    I believe that for most applications, normalization form C should be
    used.

    However, I suspect there are some applications for which this would
    not apply.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.020 / U:29.512 seconds]