    SubjectRe: 2.6.3-rc3 serial console woes
    On Monday 16 February 2004 4:25 pm, Keith Owens wrote:
    > Spoke too soon. That one line patch makes the serial console available
    > early in boot. But as soon as /sbin/init runs, the console is
    > gibberish due to a speed mismatch. Completely reverting
    > works fine. Since this is a -rc kernel, can we revert the cset until
    > it is fixed?

    Reverting for now sounds like the right thing to me. I would like to
    understand what's going on, though.

    For the serial console to work early, serial8250_console_setup() must
    be returning zero. So we can't be taking this return:

    if (!port->ops)
    return -ENODEV;

    and therefore, the hunk in serial_core.c shouldn't have any effect either.
    So is it merely the fact that we call serial8250_late_console_init()?

    I wouldn't expect that to make any difference, because the setup()
    call from serial8250_console_init() should have succeeded, so
    CON_ENABLED should have been set, and we don't do anything in
    that case.

    Keith, can you tell me how to reproduce this?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.031 / U:85.972 seconds]