Subjectmount & fstype auto

if fstab contains an entry like
/dev/hda5 /mnt/test auto
and if this get's mounted, the mtab will also contain the fstype "auto".

Wouldn't it be reasonable to put the detected fstype in the mtab?

I'm sure there exists a Map somewhere inside the kernel that maps the
fstype-string to the appropriate routines. My question is, if this
mapping is reversible.

My intention is to write a patch for mount that writes the detected
fstype into the mtab or writing a patch for updatedb from the slocate

updatedb has a blacklist of fstypes that it won't search for files.
For both patches i would need to syscall that allows me to query the
fstype-string for a given path.

Do you see any possibility?