SubjectRe: Kernel Cross Compiling

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:28:11AM +0100, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> you might also want to have a look at the idea behind PTXdist (see
> http://www.pengutronix.de/software/ptxdist_en.html) which is also able
> to build toolchains and do all the necessary tweaking, without building
> a glibc (just only run 'make xchain-gccstage1' to get a compiler without
> glibc). It follows the same approach for the patch repositories like Dan
> and we are syncing heavily.
> The whole toolchain building is a huge mess at the moment.

(a) The idiot thing was screwed wrt. binutils when the things were
prefixed with e.g. sparc64-linux-gnu-$PROG; I managed to decipher
where the paths were and just patch in the names of the crossutils.
(b) The stuff produced broken kernels; I had to resort to native builds
anyway (which far from ideal, since it target violates host/target
separation), and lost money getting a second of its kind to repair
that state of affairs.

-- wli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.044 / U:0.132 seconds]