    SubjectRe: JFS default behavior
    viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk wrote:
    > On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 03:27:50PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
    >
    >>There is no more justification to keep encoding undefined as there is to
    >>keep time zone undefined. Last I've seen we're all pretty happy system
    >>time actually means something on unix (unlike other systems where it can
    >>be anything depending on the location where the initial installation was
    >>performed).
    >

    > "System time" is amount of time elapsed since the epoch. Period. What does
    > it have to any timezone?

    And everyone agrees on the epoch and that's why it works.

    (just like sensors output is not just any numerical value but has a
    well-defined unit)

    With filenames we have a value but what it means exactly is a matter of
    conjecture. That's the problem.
    (it wouldn't be if filenames were just magic cookies that never needed
    to be interpreted but there's a lot of actors, be it apps or humans that
    need to agree on what the byte string)

    Cheers,

    --
    Nicolas Mailhot