SubjectRe: JFS default behavior wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 03:27:50PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>There is no more justification to keep encoding undefined as there is to
>>keep time zone undefined. Last I've seen we're all pretty happy system
>>time actually means something on unix (unlike other systems where it can
>>be anything depending on the location where the initial installation was
> "System time" is amount of time elapsed since the epoch. Period. What does
> it have to any timezone?

And everyone agrees on the epoch and that's why it works.

(just like sensors output is not just any numerical value but has a
well-defined unit)

With filenames we have a value but what it means exactly is a matter of
conjecture. That's the problem.
(it wouldn't be if filenames were just magic cookies that never needed
to be interpreted but there's a lot of actors, be it apps or humans that
need to agree on what the byte string)

Nicolas Mailhot