SubjectRe: PATCH, RFC: 2.6 Documentation/Codingstyle
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 06:15:10 +0800 Michael Frank <mhf@linuxmail.org> wrote:

| +Centralized exiting of functions
| +
| +Albeit deprecated by some people, the goto statement is used frequently
| +by compilers in form of the unconditional jump instruction.
| +
| +The goto statement comes handy when a function exits from multiple
comes in handy

| +locations and some common work such as cleanup has to be done.

| + Chapter : Parenthesis in expressions
| +
| +Complex expressions are easier to understand and maintain when extra
| +parenthesis are used. Here is an extreme example
| +
| +x = (((a + (b * c)) & d) | e) // would work also without any parenthesis

parentheses (plural)

| +Macros defining expressions must enclose the expression in parenthesis
parentheses

| +to reduce sideeffects.
side effects (or side-effects) (i.e., not one word)

| + Chapter : printk formating
| +
| +Periods terminating kernel messages are deprecated
| +
| +Usage of the apostrophe <'> in kernel messages is deprecated
| +
| +Mis-spellings allowed in kernel messages are:
| +
| + dont, cant
| +
| +Printing numbers in parenthesis ie (%d) is deprecated

I don't know that we reached any concensus on these. I think
that these comments are just noise (IMO of course).
I guess I'll spell out "do not" and "cannot".

--
~Randy