SubjectRe: PPC64 PowerMac G5 support available

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> Linus: you will probably need an updated radeonfb anyway as I told
> you. I'll start working on it now and will post a patch separately.

Actually, at least for me, the _old_ radeon driver works without any
modifications at all in text mode. Rock stable image, unlike the new one
that needed the clock fixes.

But trying to start X hangs the system hard, which may well be an issue
with the old radeonfb. Whenever you have a new driver, I will test.

> Also, there is currently a known build problem with the zImage wrapper
> in 2.6.3-rc2, unrelated to this patch, it doesn't prevent the build of
> the plain vmlinux which is what yaboot uses on the G5.

Actually, there's another issue, which is that the default G5 config
enables drivers/serial/pmac_zilog.c, which has a

#include <asm/kgdb.h>

in it that will cause the build to fail.

Anyway, with that fixed, it will compile and appears to work on the G5.
Thanks. Although I did see it hang when I inserted a USB keyboard (in
addition to the X problem). Hmm.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.040 / U:0.572 seconds]