SubjectRe: Kernel GPL Violations and How to Research
On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:49:56PM -0600, Gidon wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 13:20, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> > As a final level of analysis, you can always look at the compiled binary
> > code -- if you think they are using a _reasonably_ compatible compiler, you
> > might actually be able to find long sections of identical or near-identical
> > assembly (modulo loop unrolling, etc. which you should be able to identify
> > by hand.)
>
> Your advice is appreciated. I will do some further research using
> objdump. I believe they use gcc.
>
> One thing I am unsure of is how to approach them and ensure at the same
> time that the problem is taken care of. Another words, if I show them
> what's wrong, they may simply obfuscate it (although at this time I hope
> not) and then I have no way to easily prove anything anymore...

Obfuscation can obscure the names of functions, but generally not string
constants or the structure of functions calling other functions.

Tho, if it comes to that point, you need a lawyer.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

What, are you one of those Microsoft-bashing Linux freaks?
-- Customer to Greg
User Friendly, 2/10/1999

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.059 / U:0.404 seconds]