SubjectRe: devfs vs udev, thoughts from a devfs user
On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:34:18AM -0800, Mike Bell wrote:
> I've been reading a lot lately about udev and how it's both very
> different to and much better than devfs, and with _most_ of the reasons
> given, I can't see how either is the case. I'd like to lay out why I
> think that is.

Did you read:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs

> Basically, udev relies on sysfs exporting
> device numbers. Well, imagine for a moment sysfs exported actual device
> files instead of just the numbers you'd need to make a device file (a
> pretty minor change, though not one I'm advocating).

But that is not what sysfs does. And sysfs will not do this. So this
point is moot.

> Sorry if any of these points has already been discussed on
> linux-kernel, I don't have time to read the list so I'm going based on
> what's been reported in things like kernel-traffic.

They pretty much all have been in the past. Try reading the archives,
that's what they are there for :)

greg k-h

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.267 / U:0.012 seconds]