SubjectRe: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:
> John Bradford wrote:
> >>The real question we have to ask ourselves is, what would be the market
> >>demand for a graphics card that is 3 generations behind the state of the
> >>art and over-priced, the only advantage being that it's a 100% open
> >>architecture?
> >

> > Err, well there are always the server and embedded markets, if the
> > device was cheap enough.
>
> Ah, but it won't be. Low-volume ASICs are expensive. The chip itself
> would probably be around $150, not counting $100k NRE. Then you have to
> pay for the board, make up for the NRE, and make some profit to make it
> worth while. How much are YOU willing to pay?

Then why are companies doing ASICs with an OpenRISC core?

> Whatever we design is going to be EXPENSIVE. So, regardless of the fact
> that an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9000 is over-powered for job you
> describe, that board will be cheaper than what we could produce.

And it's probably overpowered when speaking about power consumption, too...

Now think of a SoC with an OpenRISC core and an integrated graphics
controller...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds