    SubjectRe: internal card reader support
    On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 18:01 +0000, Felix Dorner wrote:
    > Hi,
    > My notebook (hp nx9105) has an integrated 5in1 card-reader. I would
    > really like to use this with linux.
    > Since I do not think it is supported yet, I d like to know if it might
    > be possible to write a module or so for this.
    > I am just an average C programmer, but always wanted to dive into kernel
    > developement. My knowledge on computer architecture is also no more than
    > basic, so this might be something to really learn a lot...
    > So I start at zero knowledge now. First of course I need to find out if
    > what I want to do is possible at all.
    > This means now to identify the hardware inside and see if I can get
    > documents for that.
    > First I just start with:
    > #lspci
    > [...]
    > 0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev 01)
    > 0000:02:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev 01)
    > 0000:02:04.2 System peripheral: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8201
    > (rev 01)
    > [...]

    Looks like the card reader is part of the PC Card chip. I have a similar
    setup om my laptop. I never managed to get it working. But maybe things
    changed and newer PC Card brigdes have a card reader which act as a USB
    device. I have a Ricoh controller on my laptop:

    00:09.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltfd RL5c476 II (rev 88)
    00:09.1 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltfd RL5c476 II (rev 88)
    00:09.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd: Unknown device 0576 (SD Card

    > This is all that I have. Now I am already confused. My box has one
    > PCMCIA slot. Which is now the PCMCIA and which is the CardReader? What
    > about the third device? Might this be the integrated infrared controller?
    > Can you give me any hints/tips where to start best, what to read first?
    > I know this seems to be very difficult, but I have quite some free time
    > that I don't want to spend playing bzflag all night long, so I think
    > this is a great way to learn something.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.025 / U:21.092 seconds]