    SubjectRe: Time sliced CFQ io scheduler
    On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:47:08PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > Buffered writes don't suffer the same problem obviously because the
    > disk can can easily be kept fed from cache. Any read vs buffered write

    This is true for very small buffered writes, which is the case for
    desktop usage, but for more server oriented usage if the write isn't so
    small, and you flush the writeback cache to disk very slowly, eventually
    it will become a _sync_ write. So I agree that as long as the write
    doesn't become synchronous "as" provides better behaviour.

    One hidden side effect of "as" is that by writing so slowly (and
    64KiB/sec really is slow), it increases the time it will take for a
    dirty page to be flushed to disk (with tons of ram and lot of continous
    readers I wouldn't be surprised if it could take hours for the data to
    hit disk in an artificial testcase, you can do the math and find how
    long it would take to the last page in the list to hit disk at

    > starvation you see will mainly be due to the /sys tunables that give
    > more priority to reads (which isn't a bad idea, generally).

    > Maybe. CFQ may be a bit closer to a traditional elevator behaviour,
    > while AS uses some significantly different concepts which I guess
    > aren't as well tested and optimised for.

    It's already the best for desktop usage (even the 64KiB/sec is the best
    on desktop), but as you said above it uses significantly different
    concepts and that makes it by definition not general purpose (and
    definitely a no-way for database, while cfq isn't a no-way on the

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.037 / U:12.248 seconds]