    SubjectRe: [RFC] Strange code in cpu_idle()
    On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Dipankar Sarma wrote:

    > > > So I would say that the rcu_read_lock() in cpu_idle() is having no
    > > > effect, because any timer interrupt from cpu_idle() will mark a
    > > > quiescent state notwithstanding. What am I missing here?
    > >
    > > What about the hardirq_count check since we're coming in from the timer
    > > interrupt?
    > Look at the hardirq_count check closely - it only checks for reentrant
    > hardirqs. If the idle task gets interrupted by a timer interrupt,
    > the RCU quiscent state counter for the cpu will get incremented.
    > So, rcu_read_lock() in cpu_idle() is bogus.

    Ah crafty, the only reason it 'works' right now then is because we exit
    the pm_idle callback shortly after processing the timer interrupt which
    marks the processor as quiescent.

    Thanks for pointing that out,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.121 / U:84.948 seconds]