    SubjectRe: What if?
    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Horst von Brand wrote:

    > Kyle Moffett <mrmacman_g4@mac.com> said:
    >> On Dec 04, 2004, at 19:23, Horst von Brand wrote:
    >>> ... And pointless, you'd just get Linux as it stands
    >>> today, and loose many current developers (due to unfamiliarity with
    >>> C++).
    >
    >> Personally, the reason _I_ hate C++ is that I got tired of having to
    >> learn the obtuse combinations of symbols and excess keywords necessary to
    >> bludgeon my favorite refcount and memory management systems into the C++
    >> objects. It just wasn't worth the effort when I could write equivalent,
    >> better, and easier to read code in C.
    >
    > C++ is sufficiently not C that for such it is probably best to just
    > redesign the systems. Well done it is probably more elegant than C, but to
    > get there is a _lot_ of work.
    > --
    > Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616 counter.li.org
    > Departamento de Informatica Fono: +56 32 654431
    > Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria +56 32 654239
    > Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile Fax: +56 32 797513

    There is another problem. The kernel requires a procedural language
    to communicate with hardware. Interface with hardware is all about
    the step-by-step methods necessary to make hardware run. C++ tries
    to isolate one from the actual methods involved. That's what it
    was designed for.

    One would need to use "extensions" just to get text to the screen.
    'C' being an "smart" assembler, is nearly ideal for kernel
    development.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
    Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
    98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.027 / U:59.644 seconds]