    SubjectRe: [RFC] misleading error message
    David Ford <> said:

    > I want to be able to request information about a whooplesnoople without
    > it triggering a module load request, to determine if it's compiled in
    > statically. I want to be able to distinguish static a static
    > whooplesnoople from a modularly loaded whooplesnoople.

    The running kernel might have been compiled with whooplesnoople support,
    but the module isn't there (or is broken); there are modules (think the
    infamous binary drivers, but the NTFS and ipw-2x00 drivers are fully open
    source examples I use) that can be loaded into "any" running kernel (even
    build them after the kernel was built). A part of the module mechanism is
    exactly for making that possible, so this is not a _kernel_ property, but a
    _setup_ property.

    The only reliable way of finding out if support is there is by using it. Or
    groping inside /etc/modprobe.conf and /lib/modules &c to find out, if you
    are brave. I'm chicken.
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.020 / U:0.668 seconds]