    SubjectRe: Proposal for a userspace "architecture portability" library
    Robert Love writes:

    > I think that this is an _awesome_ idea. Might want to check out what
    > overlap there is with existing glibc interfaces. For example, I presume
    > that glibc implements at least some of the atomic operations (but I also
    > think having a full suite of atomic operations available is useful).

    I don't think glibc exports any atomic operations. As for the
    semaphores and spinlocks, clearly you can use the pthread_* functions,
    but hopefully the kernel versions are a bit lighter-weight.

    > Some of the stuff, like semaphores, isn't really going to port very well
    > to user-space. At least not directly, I would not think.

    No, for semaphores and rwsems I was going to use futexes. Or maybe we
    don't need the kernel's semaphores, rwsems and spinlocks in userspace
    at all. I'm open to suggestions.

    > FWIW, you have my permission. I've touched spinlock.h a bunch.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.040 / U:11.880 seconds]