SubjectRe: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and Intel Pro/1000
Terry Hardie wrote:
> Well, this has been plauging me for months, and finally figured it out.
>
> Any 2.6 kernel on my board, would boot, then give errors (paraphrased,
> sorry) when I tried to bring up the ethernet:
>
> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> IRQ #18: Nobody cared!
>
> And no ethernet conectivity.
>
> The Fix: Update bios from asus' website. I guess their ACPI was screwed
> up. This is the second time I've had to update this MB to fix
> incompatibilities with Linux. So, watch out with Asus boards on Linux.
>
> BTW - Linux 2.4's driver worked fine with the old bios. Only 2.6 didn't
> work.

Some additional info, I've been investigating this for a few hours, and
it appears that (a) IRQ 18 on my system is shared by ide0 and ide1, and
that the IRQ storm seems to start the first time I use ide1 (DVD only).

I will be posting a bunch of dmesg results when/if the system reboots,
but acpi={off,ht} doesn't help, pollirq doesn't help, and system
shutdown leaves the system unbootable without a full (pull the power
cord) hardware power cycle.

Questions:
1 - do you have trouble rebooting after a failure?
2 - do you see the IRQ 18 storm start just after the first use of ide1?
3 - and of course if you can get up in console mode, are ide0 and ide1
shared?

I may rebuild the kernel with IRQ share off just to see if that helps.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc