Subjectkernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
Dear All,

I downloaded the Fedora Core 3 (kernel 2.6.9-1.667) ISO CDs from the
following link.
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/
I burn the CDs. I installed the Fedora Core 3 in an Intel Machine. It
was working fine.

Now I want to build the 2.6.6 kernel image. Then I downloaded the kernel
tar file from the following link.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.6.tar.gz

After that I did the following steps.

1. I copied the downloaded tar file to the /usr/src directory.
2. I un tar the downloaded tar file.
3. I changed the owner to ROOT by
#chown -R root:root /usr/src/linux-2.6.6

After this I compiled the kernel by the following steps.

4. #make menuconfig - to creating the config file
5. #make clean
6. #make bzImage

Now I changed the EXTRAVERSION in Makefile

7. #make modules
8. #make modules_install
9. #make install - this will copy the bzImage file to /boot

directory and also updates the
menu.list
i.e. grub.conf file and copies
System.map file etc.

Every thing goes fine. After rebooting the system through this new
kernel image
I got the following error messages and system halted.

Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
Enforcing mode requested but no policy loaded. Halting now.
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

I succeeded in building the new kernel image, but un succeeded in
booting from the new image. I tried 2 to 3 times. I got the same error.

What am I doing wrong here? Please advice me with right one.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Srinivas G

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.035 / U:0.600 seconds]