    SubjectRe: unkillable processes using samba, xfs and lvm2 snapshots (k 2.6.10)
    Gildas LE NADAN <> wrote:

    > I experience hangs on samba processes on a filer using xfs over lvm2
    > as data partitions, when there is active snapshots of the xfs
    > partitions.

    Your problem probably lies between lvm2 and XFS. I got the same
    problems this summer while doing the exact same thing.

    The server would just completely hang once I started doing lvm
    -> at the beginning, the snapshots would work OK, but XFS would hang
    when accessing the filesystem afterwards
    -> after a while (usually 2 or 3 snapshots, and I was taking a
    snapshot every 2 hours), the snapshot would not complete, and
    then only a hard reboot would work

    I was doing the snapshots from a crontab, the script used xfs_freeze
    to freeze the filesystem before doing the snapshot (and unfreeze it
    afterwards, of course). Sometimes xfs_freeze -u would hang too (but at
    this time, the server was in a pretty bad state already).

    The server wasn't loaded at all, we were doing some reads/writes
    through samba to have some modified files lying around, but we were
    mainly prototyping the server, not stress-testing it.

    LVM and XFS just don't play nice together when it comes to snapshots,
    I thought it had been fixed already, but it's not the case, as we both

    (I can't remember the kernel version, it could have been a 2.4 kernel,
    but I was using LVM2 and the latest XFS code available)

    Feel free to correct me if I did something wrong (but AFAIK I took
    care of everything, knowing there could have been bad interactions
    between LVM and XFS).

    Julien BLACHE <>
    <> GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.022 / U:0.480 seconds]