    SubjectRe: unkillable processes using samba, xfs and lvm2 snapshots (k 2.6.10)
    Date
    On Tuesday 28 December 2004 06:24, Gildas LE NADAN wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I experience hangs on samba processes on a filer using xfs over lvm2
    > as data partitions, when there is active snapshots of the xfs
    > partitions.
    >
    >I have a clone of the production server (same software, same
    > hardware) where the situation can be reproduced perfectly.
    >
    >Testings showed that the result was the same, whether the snapshots
    > were mounted or not : smbd processes are locked and unkillable
    > while the machine is normaly working otherwise, except software
    > reboot is impossible and hardware reset is needed.
    >
    >I noticed Brad Fitzpatrick's case in kernel 2.6.10 changelog
    >(http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/11/14/98) and tested kernel 2.6.10 today
    >without success.
    >
    >Configuration is the following :
    >- supermicro m/b with dual Xeon 2,8Ghz (SMT is active)
    >- 1 GB ram,
    >- adaptec u320 raid controler
    >- kernel 2.6.10
    >- debian sarge
    >- samba 3
    >- LVM2
    >- XFS with quota turned on
    >
    >All software are from debian sarge packages, except the kernel.
    >
    >I'm not able to determine if the problem is more xfs, device mapper
    > or samba related, and was not able to do extensive testings (using
    > a different filesystem, testing with a different daemon, etc...),
    > but SMT/SMP testings showed that this is not a SMP/SMT related
    > problem.
    >
    >I've compiled the kernel with the debugging options, so I might
    > provide additional informations if needed as in Brad's case.
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >Gildas LE NADAN
    >(Please CC me as I didn't suscribe to LKML)

    I have a somewhat similar case here, samba processses are unkillable,
    but I can do a software reboot. Something is also killing amandad,
    and I lost the backup of this machine last night. The amanda logs
    are bereft of any info and I've no clue that its happened except a
    message from amanda that the client access timed out on this machine.
    This was while running 2.6.10-rc3-mm1-V0.33-04 which ran stably for 8
    days previously.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.023 / U:32.028 seconds]