SubjectRe: unkillable processes using samba, xfs and lvm2 snapshots (k 2.6.10)
On Tuesday 28 December 2004 06:24, Gildas LE NADAN wrote:
>I experience hangs on samba processes on a filer using xfs over lvm2
> as data partitions, when there is active snapshots of the xfs
> partitions.
>I have a clone of the production server (same software, same
> hardware) where the situation can be reproduced perfectly.
>Testings showed that the result was the same, whether the snapshots
> were mounted or not : smbd processes are locked and unkillable
> while the machine is normaly working otherwise, except software
> reboot is impossible and hardware reset is needed.
>I noticed Brad Fitzpatrick's case in kernel 2.6.10 changelog
>( and tested kernel 2.6.10 today
>without success.
>Configuration is the following :
>- supermicro m/b with dual Xeon 2,8Ghz (SMT is active)
>- 1 GB ram,
>- adaptec u320 raid controler
>- kernel 2.6.10
>- debian sarge
>- samba 3
>- LVM2
>- XFS with quota turned on
>All software are from debian sarge packages, except the kernel.
>I'm not able to determine if the problem is more xfs, device mapper
> or samba related, and was not able to do extensive testings (using
> a different filesystem, testing with a different daemon, etc...),
> but SMT/SMP testings showed that this is not a SMP/SMT related
> problem.
>I've compiled the kernel with the debugging options, so I might
> provide additional informations if needed as in Brad's case.
>Gildas LE NADAN
>(Please CC me as I didn't suscribe to LKML)

I have a somewhat similar case here, samba processses are unkillable,
but I can do a software reboot. Something is also killing amandad,
and I lost the backup of this machine last night. The amanda logs
are bereft of any info and I've no clue that its happened except a
message from amanda that the client access timed out on this machine.
This was while running 2.6.10-rc3-mm1-V0.33-04 which ran stably for 8
days previously.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
99.30% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly attorneys please note, additions to this message
by Gene Heskett are: