    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.10-ac1
    On Llu, 2004-12-27 at 00:57, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
    > Most of these options are pure braindamage (they were obsoleted to
    > verify what is what) and they paper over real bugs in core or host drivers.
    > What do you need 'serialize' option for?

    A whole range of quirky systems, probably in most cases buggy hardware,
    BIOS firmware setup bugs and the like but they are there and end users
    use them. Its __init code so it is free.

    As to real bugs there is probably a good three to six months fixing
    needed for the DMA timeout paths having been debugging them, along with
    timer/irq races all over the place. I'd rather worry about the fact the
    IDE eh code is totally hosed first and realistically needs an ide_eh
    thread for error handling akin to the SCSI approach.

    > > o Fix bogus dma_ naming in the 2.6.10 patch (Alan Cox)
    > It is on purpose, we really don't need 'ide_' prefix in ide_hwif_t.
    > The rest of ide_dma_* functions will lose ide_* prefix over time.

    The current code uses

    dma_ for DMA variables
    ide_dma_ for functions

    Its nice clean and logical. I'll consider moving my IDE code over to
    your naming when the naming is consistent again (with or without the

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.019 / U:5.508 seconds]