SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.10-ac1
On Llu, 2004-12-27 at 00:57, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> Most of these options are pure braindamage (they were obsoleted to
> verify what is what) and they paper over real bugs in core or host drivers.
> What do you need 'serialize' option for?

A whole range of quirky systems, probably in most cases buggy hardware,
BIOS firmware setup bugs and the like but they are there and end users
use them. Its __init code so it is free.

As to real bugs there is probably a good three to six months fixing
needed for the DMA timeout paths having been debugging them, along with
timer/irq races all over the place. I'd rather worry about the fact the
IDE eh code is totally hosed first and realistically needs an ide_eh
thread for error handling akin to the SCSI approach.

> > o Fix bogus dma_ naming in the 2.6.10 patch (Alan Cox)
> It is on purpose, we really don't need 'ide_' prefix in ide_hwif_t.
> The rest of ide_dma_* functions will lose ide_* prefix over time.

The current code uses

dma_ for DMA variables
ide_dma_ for functions

Its nice clean and logical. I'll consider moving my IDE code over to
your naming when the naming is consistent again (with or without the