    SubjectMake changes to read-only file system using RAM

    Has anyone seen any work done on a RAM based file system that
    stores only changes to what would otherwise have been a read-only file
    system? For example, live Linux CD's rely on RAM file systems to
    store directories/files that must be modified, but the majority of the
    system is mounted read-only on the CD. I was thinking it would be
    really nice if we could mount a read-only medium (like a CD) in
    read-write mode, and store only modifications in RAM. This could give
    the illusion of a true read-write medium, and the RAM file system
    would just grow as more changes are made.
    I have searched around a bit and found nothing like this.
    Unfortunately, I have no kernel programming experience (although I'd
    love to learn). I was wondering if anyone has tried something similar
    in the past. Also, if anyone with more experience can see any reason
    why this is impossible or impractical, I would love to hear it, before
    I come to the same conclusion many months down the line.

    Thanks for your time,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.019 / U:32.076 seconds]