    SubjectRe: 2.6.10-rc3: kswapd eats CPU on start of memory-eating task
    Nick Piggin wrote:

    > Andrew Morton wrote:
    [snip]
    >> Did anyone come up with a simple step-by-step procedure for
    >> reproducing the
    >> problem? It would be good if someone could do this, because I don't
    >> think
    >> we understand the root cause yet?
    >
    > I admit to generally being in the same boat as you with respect to
    > running complex userspace apps.
    >
    > However, based on this and other scattered reports, I'd say it seems
    > quite likely that token based thrashing control is the culprit. Based
    > on the cost/benefit, I wonder if we should disable TBTC by default for
    > 2.6.10, rather than trying to fix it, and try again for 2.6.11?

    Hello,

    I imagine that the issue might occur when only one process holds
    almost all memory and has swap token too long time.

    However, TBTC has a good effect in my workload.
    So, I think that it is better to keep VM tunable using TBTC.

    It may be a good idea to set 0 to default swap_token_timeout
    until we find the root cause.

    Best regards,
    Hideo AOKI

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.021 / U:182.344 seconds]