SubjectRe: 2.6.10-rc3: kswapd eats CPU on start of memory-eating task
Nick Piggin wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
[snip]
>> Did anyone come up with a simple step-by-step procedure for
>> reproducing the
>> problem? It would be good if someone could do this, because I don't
>> think
>> we understand the root cause yet?
>
> I admit to generally being in the same boat as you with respect to
> running complex userspace apps.
>
> However, based on this and other scattered reports, I'd say it seems
> quite likely that token based thrashing control is the culprit. Based
> on the cost/benefit, I wonder if we should disable TBTC by default for
> 2.6.10, rather than trying to fix it, and try again for 2.6.11?

Hello,

I imagine that the issue might occur when only one process holds
almost all memory and has swap token too long time.

However, TBTC has a good effect in my workload.
So, I think that it is better to keep VM tunable using TBTC.

It may be a good idea to set 0 to default swap_token_timeout
until we find the root cause.

Best regards,
Hideo AOKI

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.103 / U:1.124 seconds]