    SubjectRe: What if?
    Date
    On Thursday 02 December 2004 05:40, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
    > On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 05:34:08AM +0530, Imanpreet Singh Arora wrote:
    > > I realize most of the unhappiness lies with C++ compilers being
    > > slow. Also the fact that a lot of Hackers around here are a lot more
    > > familiar with C, rather than C++. However other than that what are the
    > > _implementation_ issues that you hackers might need to consider if it
    > > were to be implemented in C++.
    >
    > The suckitude of C++ compilers is only part of the issues.
    >
    > > My question is regarding how will kernel
    > > deal with C++ doing too much behind the back, Calling constructors,
    > > templates exceptions and other. What are the possible issues of such an
    > > approach while writing device drivers? What sort of modifications do
    > > you reckon might be needed if such a move were to be made?
    >
    > The way the kernel will deal with C++ language being a complete
    > disaster (where something as simple as "a = b + c + d +e" could
    > involve a dozen or more memory allocations, implicit type conversions,
    > and overloaded operators) is to not use it. Think about the words of
    > wisdom from the movie Wargames: "The only way to win is not to play
    > the game".

    Let us do it all in assembler. Real optimization for every CPU.

    BTW, that sparks a question:
    Did anybody already do a benchmark to see what happens if you address an AMD
    cpu not with x86 instructions but with it's native code, so to circumvent the
    internal translation in the CPU?

    > - Ted
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.030 / U:61.316 seconds]