    SubjectRe: Kernel 2.6.9 Multiple Page Allocation Failures
    Lukas Hejtmanek <> wrote:
    > On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 02:56:10PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > It's quite possible that XFS is performing rather too many GFP_ATOMIC
    > > allocations and is depleting the page reserves. Although increasing
    > > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes should help there.
    > Btw, how the min_free_kbytes works?

    The page reclaim code and the page allocator will aim to keep that amount
    of memory free for emergency, IRQ and atomic allocations.

    > I have up to 1MB TCP windows. If I'm running out of memory then kswapd should
    > try to free some memory (or bdflush).

    yes, there's some latency involved. Especially on uniprocessor - if the
    CPU is stuck in an interrupt handler refilling a huge network Rx ring then
    waking kswapd won't do anything and you will run out of memory.

    > But on GE I can receive data faster then
    > disk is able to swap or flush buffers. So I should keep min_free big enough to
    > give time to disk to flush/swap data?

    All I can say is "experiment with it".

    It might be useful to renice kswapd so that userspace processes do not
    increase its latency.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.020 / U:88.084 seconds]