    SubjectRe: unregister_ioctl32_conversion and modules. ioctl32 revisited.
    Quoting r. Andi Kleen ( "Re: unregister_ioctl32_conversion and modules. ioctl32 revisited.":
    > > There were two additional motivations for my patch:
    > > 1. Make it possible to avoid the BKL completely by writing
    > > an ioctl with proper internal locking.
    > Good point. It is the first step towards BKL less native ioctls. So it's
    > certainly a good idea even for the non compat case.
    > > 2. As noted by Juergen Kreileder, the compat hash does not work
    > > for ioctls that encode additional information in the command, like this:
    > >
    > > #define EVIOCGBIT(ev,len) _IOC(_IOC_READ, 'E', 0x20 + ev, len)
    > >
    > > I post the patch (updated for 2.6.10-rc2, boots) that I built for
    > > Juergen, below. If there's interest, let me know.
    > Patch looks good to me, except for some messed up white space
    > that is probably easily fixed.

    I did try so .. Where? :)

    > > I'd like to add that my patch does not touch any in-kernel users,
    > > that would have to be done separately, probably as a first step
    > > simply taking the BKL inside ioctl_compat.
    > I doubt any of the compat wrappers need BKL, they never touch
    > any global state and then just call sys_ioctl which takes the BKL
    > only when needed.
    > Ok there is a slight possibility that out of tree code wrote
    > compat wrappers that need BKL, but in that case they will just
    > have to deal with the bugs. Removing register_ioctl32_conversion
    > and some comments would take care of them anyways.

    I mean out of tree code can just implement ioctl_compat by taking the BKL
    if it needs it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.023 / U:5.756 seconds]