    SubjectRe: USB making time drift [was Re: dynamic-hz]
    On Wednesday 15 December 2004 04:17, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    >On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 09:59:23PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >> Which way? I was running quite fast here, several minutes an
    >In the future, if I disable the logic it goes in the past at the
    > same speed it was previously going in the future.
    >> hour, then I discovered the tickadj command, found its default
    >> was 10000, and started reducing it. At 9926, I'm staying within
    >> a sec an hour now. I have no idea when this started, I didn't
    >That seems quite an hack, note I did an hack too and it make the
    > drift much smaller (it gets manageable). But our modifications are
    > wrong.
    >The point is that this didn't happen with HZ=100, so it's not that
    >tickadj is wrong, it's the tick adjustment code that doesn't work.
    The HZ=1000 is the culprit?

    >You may want to recompile your kernel with HZ=100 and verify it goes
    >away (I didn't verify myself, but I verified the max irq latency I
    > get is 4msec, and in turn I'm sure HZ=100 would fix it

    Humm, that might also reduce the obviousness of the irq activity in
    the audio, there are times when I can hear it very plainly while a
    low level audio src is in use, like the sub-millivolt levels that come
    out of my Hauppauge WinTV-GO+FM card. I keep having to turn the
    master down to almost zip in order to keep it from sounding like I
    have mice chewing in the walls, but its coming from the speakers.
    Onboard AC-97 audio of course. Crappy stuff... Humm, 100HZ would
    translate to 10 millisecond intervals. If you had a 4 millisecond
    that would be spread over 4 of the 1000 hz interrupts. That sounds
    rather confusing to the service routine I imagine.

    I'll do that just for grins & report back.

    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
    99.30% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly attorneys please note, additions to this message
    by Gene Heskett are:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.022 / U:19.504 seconds]