    SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc3-mm1-V0.7.33-0
    [RFC]

    Ingo,

    Any thought about adding a one shot timer for the system?

    I know there's been talk about this in the mainline (actually going on
    right now in the dynamic Hz thread), but I figured that this would
    especially be good for a RT system and not be worried about the HZ
    settings.

    An example would be to have the timer interrupt be implemented as a one
    shot timer, and be able to register actions to times with it. The jiffy
    calculations could just be an event that is registered to go off once
    every HZ. The timer interrupt would then just have to look at all the
    events that have expired (using something like the TSC to determine what
    expires), execute their registered actions, and if need be, the action
    could add itself back on the event queue (the jiffy timer would do
    this), and then the timer would set itself to go off at the next event.
    I believe something like this was done by the utime patch (now with the
    KURT project).

    This way the RT processes would not need to depend on the HZ settings.

    I'd be willing to implement this, since I'm doing it regardless for a
    client of mine. But I would like to know your input on this.

    Thanks,

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:4.035 / U:0.028 seconds]