SubjectRe: Improved console UTF-8 support for the Linux kernel?
Hi Simon ;),

On Dec 12 at 10:08:22, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> > Aaahh ;), you've should said that before. The whole problem with the
> > kernel is with the compose tables. If you have a native key for "ö" in
> > your keyboard you'll not have problems. I can type for example a 'n
> > with tilde' in my keyboard because is too is a native key, but for
> > accentuated characters, for utf-8 output is neccesary to apply the patch :-/
>
> And that's the whole issue.
>
> As soon as the kernel is in Unicode mode for the console, currently
> there is no way to input accented characters through a dead key
> (composed).

True.

> Some years back when 8-bit encodings where used there was no problem,
> however now all distros are broken with regards to this.

I guess that some distros use their own patches, like it seems with
SuSE, but it's something that it's broken in the linux console and
should be fixed.

> I do not know what is the next step to consider adding the patch.

Submitting the patch to lkml to discuss about its possible
inclusion would be a good start. I don't know who's the console maintainer,
Vojtech Pavlik perhaps?

Regards,

--
David Gómez Jabber ID: davidge@jabber.org