    SubjectRe: VM86 interrupt emulation breakage and FIXes for 2.6.x kernel series

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Alan Cox wrote:

    > ps: Pavel - the X folks played with several ideas for handling
    > interrupts from user space that could be shared, forwarded to user space
    > and handled and it always came back to either a small kernel module or
    > an interpretable set of descriptions of how to test for and mask the
    > IRQ, and in some cases to save several values.

    The interpreter idea is somewhat interesting, especially if the "language"
    can be actually "compiled" into some threaded format or similar. I suspect
    that a number of special devices that you don't want to maintain a
    real kernel module for could be handled that way.

    However, I also suspect that such a thing would eventually explode with
    special cases and support for new features people want, to the point
    where it gets quite complex, and a kernel module might be easier after all ;)

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.019 / U:0.712 seconds]