    SubjectRe: Improved console UTF-8 support for the Linux kernel?
    Hi Simon ;),

    > The current UTF-8 keyboard input (for the console) of the Linux kernel
    > does not support "composing" or writing characters with accents.

    Yes, i recently find it out when trying to switch all my system to
    UTF-8. But the patch from Chris you mention below works very well
    for me (and for anybody that needs to type compose characters for
    languages based in the latin1 encoding i guess).

    > affects quite a few languages that require accents (French, German,
    > Danish, Swedish?, Greek, cyrillic-based?, others?.).

    Spanish ;))

    > Chris Heath has a set of incremental patches
    > ( to enhance Unicode for the
    > console.
    > I noticed that he contacted this list in May 2003
    > ( but
    > unfortunatelly the discussion was diverted to coding styles.

    Chris told me in the utf-8 mailing list that he doesn't think his patch to
    make the kernel generate UTF-8 characters in the compose tables will be
    included in the main kernel. Basically because is not a full solution that
    cover all the cases... But there is nothing better, so maybe it will be a
    good idea to include it. Current state is, for 2.6 kernel, text console
    is broken in UTF-8 mode because it cannot generate UTF-8 composed characters.

    > Is there an interest for re-submission of mentioned patches for
    > inclusion in the kernel (yeah, provided coding style is "normalised")?

    At least, I am _really_ interested :)

    David Gómez Jabber ID:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.024 / U:2.992 seconds]