SubjectRe: [Announce] Squashfs 2.1 released (compressed filesystem)
On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 05:15:11AM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 08:08:37PM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
> >
> >>I'm pleased to announce the release of Squashfs 2.1.
> >

> >Are you going to submit this fs for inclusion in the main kernel tree?
> >I'm getting tired of maintaining it as part of the Gentoo kernel patch
> >set :)
>
> Good question... When I originally released Squashfs (Oct 2002) the 2.5
> kernel had just gone into the feature freeze and I was waiting for the
> unfreeze that would happen when 2.7 arrived. As the official stance on
> additions to 2.6 has been relaxed I have thought about submitting it.
>
> I need to tidy up the code a bit before I submit it to the merciless
> scrutiny of LKML :-) Nothing bad (I hope) but there's lots of long
> lines and I do know LKML'mers like 80 columns.
>
> I'm planning on adding ea/acl support (people have been asking for
> them), I can't decide whether to submit it now or wait until I've
> finished them. Suggestions and advice would be welcome.

Submit it now, it's self contained (doesn't patch anything outside it's
own directory), and is useful in it's current state for a lot of people.

> Slightly off topic, I've noticed you're the kernel maintainer for
> Gentoo. You mentioned somewhere you're down to 4 kernel patches,
> including Squashfs? :)

Yes, squashfs is one of the four non-bugfix patches in the Gentoo kernel
2.6 kernel package.

For those who are interested, the other three are:
- fbsplash, the "next-gen" version of bootsplash. No more image
decoders in kernelspace (compared to bootsplash), and a few
more features.
- speakup, a driver package for visually-impaired users.
- vesafb-tng, a "next-gen" version of vesafb-tng.
- inotify.

Ok, there are now 5 patches, I forgot we addeed inotify recently to make
the Gnome developers happy.

> A lot of people/projects are now using Squashfs and it would help a
> lot of people (and me) if it did get into the kernel. Plus it would
> be a nice thing for me anyway to have finally got it included.

I agree, it would also reduce your workload of keeping an
out-of-the-kernel fs patchset.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.127 / U:0.612 seconds]