SubjectRe: [RFC] Limit the size of the IPV4 route hash.
Robin Holt <> wrote:
> > The big risk is that someone has a too-small table for some specific
> > application and their machine runs more slowly than it should, but they
> > never notice. I wonder if it would be possible to put a little once-only
> > printk into the routing code: "warning route-cache chain exceeded 100
> > entries: consider using the rhash_entries boot option".
> Since the hash gets flushed every 10 seconds, what if we kept track of
> the maximum depth reached and when we reach a certain threshold, just
> allocate a larger hash and replace the old with the new. I do like the
> printk idea so the admin can prevent inconsistent performance early in
> the run cycle for the system. We could even scale the hash size up based
> upon demand.

Once the system has been running for a while, the possibility of allocating
a decent number of physically-contiguous pages is basically zero.

If we were to dynamically size it we'd need to either use new data
structure (slower) or use vmalloc() (slower and can fragment vmalloc