SubjectRe: RCU question
On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 11:42:55AM -0800, George Anzinger wrote:
> Dipankar Sarma wrote:
> >And yes, RCU processing in softirq context can re-raise the softirq.
> >AFAICS, it is perfectly normal.
>
> My assumption was that, this being the idle task, RCU would be more than
> happy to finish all its pending tasks.

We try to avoid really long running softirqs (RCU tasklet in this case)
for better scheduling latency. A long running rcu tasklet during
an idle cpu may delay running of an RT process that becomes runnable
during the rcu tasklet.

> It may be necessary for me to rethink the conditions required to go into
> the VST state. I had assumed that it required NO softirq pending as a pre
> condition. From this point on we would have the interrupt system off until
> the hardware sleep instruction (hlt in the x86 case).

Unfortunately, we aren't there yet. But it is in my TODO list for a
generic nohz system.

Thanks
Dipankar

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:2.070 / U:0.032 seconds]